The first parish church was built in late 1865. On September 23, 1866 Bishop Kenrick came and blessed the church.
The church was legally entered into the books of the State of Missouri on August 1876 as St. Teresa Roman Catholic Church
As the parish grew the school was enlarged. Because of the increase in the number of parishioners,
a larger church was built in 1900. The new church was erected on the northwest corner of Grand and North Market.
The interior of the new building is 132 feet long by 72 feet wide. There are five altars and the roof is supported by
two rows of columns.
In the winter of 1981-82, snow damaged the inner ceiling of the church. A number of tapestries
covering the ceiling were ruined. In 1984 the tapestries were restored and the church repainted. On Saturday,
November 24, 1984 the church was rededicated by Bishop J. Terry Steib, Auxiliary Bishop of St. Louis.
By 1870 a
parish school for over 300 students was built and staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Within a few years the
Notre Dame Sisters left and were replaced by the Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet who remained until the school closed in
1965. Several neighboring parishes, including St. Teresa, decided to consolidate their educational efforts. From this
consolidation emerged one school, housed at St. Bridget's parish, known as Central Catholic Community School. In
August 1989 the school merged with St. Nicholas parish and is currently known as Central Catholic / St. Nicholas Community
During the 1970's the convent and school, which were adjacent to the church, were torn down. Presently,
a resouce center is standing on the site of the old school building.
In 1979 the Missionaries of Charity began their
work within our parish by offering a shelter for homeless women and children and providing meals at their soup kitchen.
With the building of their new complex (convent, homeless shelter and soup kitchen) they provide a variety of services for
people in our area.
From the beginng St. Teresa has grown through the wisdom and strength of its members.
July 2003, the Archdiocese of St. Louis presented a formal request that Sts. Teresa of Avila and St. Bridget of Erin merge
to form a new Saints Teresa and Bridget Catholic Church. Our new parish embraces the rich history of both St. Teresa
of Avila and St. Bridget of Erin parish.
St. Bridget of Erin Parish was founded in 1853, serving a community
of Irish immigrants. At the time of its construction, Jefferson Avenue was the city limits of St. Louis. In the
late 1950's through the early 1960's, the profile of the parish gradually changed from an Irish-American community
to an African-American community. Although the profile of the parish changed, the parish's commitment to worship,
education and housing never wavered.
The Sts. Teresa and Bridget parish is involved in many programs and organizations,
amid at meeting the needs of its own members and those who are not members. Some of the programs are:
* Comprehensive Health in Partnership Service
* Youth After School Programs
for Children at Risk
* Summer Youth Program
* Sunday Religion classes for Children
Adult Gospel Choir
* Liturgical Dancers
We look forward to serving God and our community
in the years ahead.